Balmoral Triathlon Club prides itself of supporting triathletes whether rookies or pros and anyone in between and we are proud that we have good representation of women across our club.
Hear from some of the women in our club (newbies, pros, age groupers, coaches and new mums) in our member profile interviews and race reports from this season. Hopefully these articles will make you realise you can do it too!
BTC Female Member Profiles
Our fantastic coach Chris Thomas gives women tips on how to get started, explains why being a Girl Guide is important and about being brave.
Lauren bourke is our 2015-2016 Youth Scholarship awardee. Lauren decided to step down from doing the 70.3 distances and concentrate on olympic distances this season. Find out a bit more about her season and how the Scholarship award has helped her this year.
Nic Ward has been a member of Balmoral Tri Club for a number of years, and was one of BTC's pro triathletes. Nic has recently had a baby so we thought we would catch up with her and find out a bit about her Pro career and whats next after having a little one and her advice for women looking to get started in Triathlon.
Andrea Pember is a relatively new member to BTC, she has qualified for the World 70.3 Championships in the Sunshine Coast later this year. So we thought we would catch up with her and find out a bit more her and how she qualified.
BTC's Emily McPhee is one of our club's amazingly helpful members, this year she has helped at our Trystars kids sessions, and is helping Zoe with the Newsletter and Website. Em is always smiling and willing to help out around the club, and has been a regular at Club Champs for the last few years.
A number of our lady members have recently been on the comeback trail after having little ones, so we thought we would catch up with two of them to find out how they do it.
Today we catch up with one of our new members Katherine Marik. Kat recently competed in her first Long Course Triathlon at Huskisson last weekend. Welcome Kat, we hope to see you at club champs in your BTC kit !
Hear from Julianna, who had never done a triathlon before joining BTC in December, and find out about how she prepared and enjoyed her first ever race at BTC !
What is it like to compete in your first club race? Hear from a one of our newest members Catherine, and what she learned - hint pumping up tyres before racing is a good idea !!!
We're lucky enough to have got our mittens on a race report from Bel Fong after her win in the sprint race at Wyong last weekend. Read on for all the juicy details on how the Fong got the top gong in Wyong!
Some quick facts about BTC:
- 35% of our adult members are women.
- 3 out of 4 of the BTC Executive Committee are women (Jodie Osborne, Hannah Donaldson and Zoe Young) and we have a number of other women on the extended BTC Committee (Christine McLiver, Steffi Breidenbach, Alison Keetley, Jessica Hansen, Emily McPhee).
- One of our head coaches is a female. Christina Thomas was a professional Ironman athlete before setting up and running Energy Link Performance Coaching with husband and Ironman legend Bruce, which has supported and coached many beginners and professional athletes: energylink.com.au.
- The club is supporting several female members through their official Level 1 Triathlon Coach training.
- The club has two female members over the age of 70 years who are still giving some our our younger members a run for their money!
- At the other end of the generation spectrum, we had over 10 junior females under the age of 14 take part in our Try Stars program over 2015 / 2016 summer.
- Our BTC Youth Scholarship for season 2015/2016 was awarded to a woman (Lauren Bourke).
Not yet a member of our club? Got some questions ? We have some info for new members here, if you still have questions feel free to get in contact with out new member liaison committee member Alison by filling in our form here
Resources for Women
Women only Triathlon - Triathlon Pink